Quick Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
When the evenings turn nippy, few things hit the spot like a bowl of chili. With the addition of sweet potatoes, this easy chili is filling and warming. Make this big pot of chili, and enjoy leftovers for a thermos lunch or subsequent dinners. Serve with stone-ground tortilla chips and any of VegKitchen’s coleslaws; a simple side of sautéed greens or steamed broccoli rounds out this hearty meal. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 8 or more
- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Two 28- to 32-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- One 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chiles, minced, or one 8-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced, optonal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until just firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 3/4-inch dice. Set aside until needed.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden. Add the remaining ingredients except the last three. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered for 15 minutes.
Add the sweet potato dice and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the parsley or cilantro and optional scallions, then season gently with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed. Top each serving with extra parsley or cilantro, if desired.
- Here are more recipes for bean stews and chilies.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes.